Anyway, this is a meatloaf albeit a meatless one. The most taxing bit of this recipe is the need to lift the Magimix down, brutal I know, but worth it. You just whizz stuff up, blob it into a loaf tin and bake it. It's cheap and it definitely merits gravy - all round win, well with Alex anyway...
Nut & Mushroom Loaf
- Bread bread crust
- An onion
- A carrot and a stick of celery
- A punnet of mushrooms, about 250g or so
- 2 garlic cloves
- A knob or butter
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (not essential)
- 3 handfuls of mixed, unsalted nuts
- A handful of grated cheddar
- 2 eggs
- Preheat to 200. Whizz the crusts in the food processor and set aside.
- Whizz up the onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms and garlic - aim for finely chopped and stop before mush.
- Melt the butte in a large frying pan, wok or saute pan and add the veg.
- Whizz the nuts in the processor
- After the veg has had a bit of a stir fry and soften, add the balsamic and plenty of pepper. Turn it off and let it cool a little.
- Mix everything together in a bowl, then splodge it into a greased 1lb loaf tine, lined with greaseproof.
- Cook it for about 30 mins then eat it with meat gravy if you're not a veggie and onion gravy if you are. Mash would be fitting too.